Monday 30 January 2012

Editing Evaluation (children's drama)

Editing my children s drama was a fun and challenging new experience, using premier pro was a very useful and effective way of editing my children's drama. firstly I had to import my clips after changing them to a .MOV file (simply by changing the name). to import them I simply right click the page and press import and choose which file I want, this also works for audio files. I then had to arrange my clips into order which I had already named and place on the timeline. to cut the shots down I could simply press C which automatically puts the curser onto the cutting tool and I can turn back to the normal timeline tool (which allows me to move shots around the timeline) by pressing V. I then cut off bits of shots that we didn't need specifically and slowly reduced the film down to five minutes. after the show was watchable I then had to add in necessary effects like writing on the screen or freeze frames and the title sequence. to freeze frame a shot I had to cut off a small section of a shot (with the pose that I want for the still frame) and then I right clicked the shot and chose hold frame. This makes a freeze frame in which we used to introduce a character 'kingpin' in the story and once the freeze frame was finished the original footage resumes without jumping due to precise cutting.

 I went onto youtube and used 'youtube to mp3' and downloaded the sound tracks I needed for the different scenes (all copyright free). For example I used several sound effects like slapping,banging slaming to add into the film in order to give it a more cartoon like feel and more friendly for children. This also makes the film more vibrant and helps make certain scenes and shots seem more interesting with the introduction of a thumping sound when someone falls over e.t.c. After all the shots,freeze frames,sound effects and music files were put into order and cut so they sync appropriately with the footage, the film was only in need of a opening sequence and credits, these were both simple animations. I made a blank frame and added pictures and writing to make the title appealing. this is a very simple and useful option which I used effectively, I choose the 'Title' option on the tool bar and choose which font and size I want for my writing and then add it to the timeline where I want. The same was done with the credits, I chose the title option once again but instead of a still frame I chose a slide roll up so it looked like genuine credits. this payed off very well and gave the film a proffesional and satisfiying conclusion.

After several projects made on Premier Pro such as my thriller, children s drama and animation I had got the hang of using it to a much more full advantage, for when I made my children s drama I had not used the software before. When it came to editing my Final Major Project I already had enough experience to step up my game a little bit more. I has determined to make sure this film was not just shot put together with music slapped over it but a more professional looking piece of work. I did however follow the same basic format of adding clips into premier pro,cutting them down, adding music and then rendering it as a whole, however once I had the shots in place I wanted to make the film more visually appealing. to do this I thought about how the lighting was in each scene and chose the 'Brightness and contrast' option from the Visual effects bar and applied it to the shots, inside scenes I generally made darker to give it a more succumbed feeling and the outside shots I made sure weren't too bright. This gave the shots a different look and made it look a lot less like just ordinary camera footage, it also gave the film a different feel which seemed to work really well.

the other difference with my FMP was that it was shot with  Digital SLR which meant the quality of the pictures was much better than anything else ive done, this helped with making it look more 'Cinematic', it also made it clearer to see what parts were too over contrasted and what was too bright e.t.c.

No comments:

Post a Comment